Becoming an Outstanding Languages Teacher explores the skills that it takes to deliver exceptional language teaching and produce outstanding results. Written by a highly experienced teacher and teacher educator, this book provides a wide range of approaches to teaching, along with an abundance of practical classroom ideas.
This new edition keeps the focus on the nuts and bolts of planning lessons – which will keep students engaged and stimulated when learning a language – and features a new chapter on intercultural understanding, as well as updated information on the latest digital technology tools. Reference is made to tried and tested methodologies and classroom procedures, along with exciting new approaches which teachers have found productive. The book covers:
- how to run a room;
- dissecting lessons: written texts, aural texts and visuals;
- teacher-student interactions, communicative tasks and sentence-building;
- developing phonological and phonics skill;
- purposeful games;
- teaching with words and chunks;
- teaching students with varying aptitude for language learning;
- using digital technology to support learning;
- what it means to "teach grammar";
- intercultural understanding;
- building a repertoire to lighten your workload.
Packed full of strategies which are easy to implement, this book is essential reading for both pre-service teachers and experienced practitioners.