Extensively revised, comprehensive content from leading global contributors ensures that Hematology, 8th Edition, remains your #1 choice for expert guidance in all areas of this rapidly advancing subspecialty. This edition reflects the numerous advances that are redefining the field and dramatically influencing new approaches to diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes. Well-illustrated and clinically focused, it details the basic science and clinical practice of hematology and hematopoietic cellular therapy―covering virtually all aspects of hematology in one definitive resource.
- Covers all hematologic disorders, including comprehensive discussions of hematologic malignancies, individualized patient care, cell-based therapies, transplantation, transfusion medicine, hemostasis, thrombosis, and consultative hematology―in one convenient volume.
- Provides state-of-the-art guidance from global experts at the forefront of the latest research and clinical practice.
- Provides extensive updates throughout on basic science research, advances in molecular diagnostics, new drugs, immunotherapies, personalized medicine, laboratory medicine, transfusion medicine, stem cell transplantation, and clinical treatment for all hematologic malignancies and non-malignancies
- Contains new chapters on gene editing; the impact of mitochondria on hematopoiesis; myelodysplastic syndrome/myeloproliferative neoplasm overlap syndromes; immunotherapy and management of its toxicities; transfusion medicine in sickle cell disease; principles of radiation therapy; and COVID-19, including complications of vaccination and its impact on the hematologic system.
- Discusses many new advances in the field, including details and the future of gene therapy for hemophilia, gene editing for sickle cell disease and thalassemia, the evolution of cellular therapy, use of cells, transfusion medicine vs. protein therapy, gene sequencing, immunotherapy, and new targeted drugs.
- Includes more decision-making algorithms for formulating diagnoses and personalized treatment plans for those highly complex disorders that require individualized approaches.
- Addresses the effects of aging on hematopoiesis and on the manifestations of a variety of hematologic disorders.
- Discusses cardio-oncology and its impact on the treatment of patients with hematologic disorders.
- Presents relevant basic science as background for clinical application in later sections.